So it all started with the Santa Ana winds bringing in the fall. I wanted Pumpkin something and decided to do this easy recipe I saw off the internet. Duncan Hines Spice Cake Mix and Pumpkin Puree. So I made it and of course it smelled good but when I taste tested it. It was a fail. In my opinion it was way to moist and yes I baked it for even longer then the time requested for. But I was still craving pumpkin and still had the urge to make cake. Soooo Yay Me I bought more than one pumpkin puree!!! And I had all the normal baking supplies. So why not make it the old fashion way. Homemade!!!
So I played around a lot and lots of taste testing the batter, maybe more than I should have. But WOW it was good!!
Ok so heres what I came up with..
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
4 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup pureed pumpkin (I only used 3/4 of the can)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Cream butter, sugar and pumpkin pie spice until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time.
3. Combine flour, baking soda and salt then add into the butter mixture.
4. Combine Pumpkin Puree and lemon juice until well combined. Don’t over mix.
5. Bake for 18 minutes or until center comes out clean.
6. Let cool for 15 minutes
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 cup white sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar salt and vanilla until smooth. Make sure cream cheese is soft or you will have lumps in the frosting.
2. In another bowl, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Do not over whip or it will separate.
3. Fold into the cream cheese mixture until well mixed.
The Pie Crust (I just bought already made. Made it easier because I didn’t need a lot for what I was doing.)
1. Preheat again the oven to 450.
2. Cut out little leaf patterns with a cookie cutter and bake until slightly golden.
3. Mix in a small bowl, cinnamon and sugar.
4. Right when they come out of the oven while hot place the leafs in the bowl and coat them with the sugar mixture and set out onto a plate till cooled.
Then pipe your frosting and sprinkle cinnamon on top and top it off with your sugared leaf.