Apple Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake Muffins
Makes 12 standard sized muffins
for the muffin:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large apple chopped
for the crumb topping:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp softened butter
- pinch of cinnamon
for the cinnamon swirl filling:
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line one 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners or spray with cooking spray.
- Make the crumb topping: Combine all ingredients until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside until ready to use.
- Make the filling: whisk together all ingredients until well combined. Set aside until ready to use.
- Make the muffins: combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate, smaller bowl, whisk together oil, egg, and milk. Pour wet ingredient mixture over dry ingredient mixture and stir with big wooden spoon until just combined.
- Add 1 1/2 tbsp of batter to each of the prepared muffin cups. Then, add one 3/4 to 1 tsp (depending on how much you like cinnamon!) of the cinnamon swirl filling to the center of the batter. Top with an additional 1 1/2 tbsp of batter.
- Cover muffins with crumb topping, then bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for a few minutes before carefully removing to a wire rack to cool completely.